Saturday, June 03, 2006

Hiring

I recently had my first experience on the other side of the hiring table, and I thought I'd share what I learned from the experience.

If you are asked to fill out a form, be sure to answer all of the questions. If you don't have time to fill out the form, I don't have time to sort through your application.

A personalized cover letter gives a good impression! If you've at least taken the time to put the job name on your cover letter, I'll take more time to read through your application.

It's possible to be over qualified. I hadn't realized this before, but if I have a simple task that needs to be performed, and you have many additional skills, I might worry that you won't be happy performing the simple task. As a job applicant, this is something that is entirely out of your control, but don't take it personally if you aren't hired.

One of the most important considerations when hiring a new employee is how that person will interact with the rest of the department. New skills can always be taught and learned, but in order to maintain a good working environment, personalities must be able to exist together. When interviewing for a new position, be sure to demonstrate that you are able to work well with others.

Most importantly, don't be discouraged if you aren't offered the position. Many factors influence the final decision, and the people doing the hiring may feel that the position isn't a good fit for you. Keep looking and good luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home